Thursday 22 June 2017

Curiosity Journal #5: Planning My Culminating

For this curiosity journal, I decided to focus on what I would be doing with my culminating project, and start playing around with ideas for what I wanted to do. Like my previous culminating projects, I knew I wanted it to be political. I find that when I focus on things that I'm passionate about, ie: politics and feminism, I tend to be more creative and more interested in creating. 

With this project, in particular, I had wanted to draw from the work of an artist I had recently been introduced to by Mrs Rose, by the name of Barbara Kruger. I had first become aware of Kruger's work when Mrs Rose was helping another student with screening something (don't know if that's the right term) onto the back of a paint smock. It reminded her of Kruger's work, which she then encouraged me to take a look at. 

Which I did. And I loved it.

Kruger has a political, but simple mixed media style that really calls to what I enjoy doing, so I decided to take inspiration from her work and transform it into my own. I decided to create a series using already existing portraits, and add to them using a similar political message.
While Kruger mainly focused on capitalism, consumerism, and gender politics, I want to focus more on social movements and cultural attitudes, mainly towards lgbtq+ people, people of colour, and women. 

I want to highlight the injustices minority groups face, including sexism, racism, homophobia and transphobia. I plan to showcase these things within my project with quotes, sayings and statements that speak to the situation that these groups go through. While Kruger played a role in choosing what medium I decided to use, I knew I wanted to do something intensely political, especially around minority groups, since I saw that disturbing video a few days ago of Philando Castille and his murder by police. 

I drew up some preliminary ideas and thoughts while I was still brainstorming, here's
what I wrote down in my curiosity journal:

No comments:

Post a Comment