Monday 17 April 2017

#DoodleADay Experiment

#DoodleADay was an experiment that was created by Royan Lee, that challenged everyone to create something, even if it was a tiny little doodle, every day throughout the month of March. Earlier in the month, Mrs Rose introduced this project to us and challenged us to go through the prompts for each of the days, see if one stood out to us, and then doodle it. I thought this whole challenge was really great, as I like the idea that creating something every day expands your creativity, instead of depleting it.

As I was going through Royan Lee's Instagram, looking for prompts, I found two that really struck me: pick a song and doodle to it without stopping until it's done and doodle a representation of love without using hearts or the colour red. I decided to combine these two challenges, and doodled a picture of hands holding while listening to the song 'Sick of Losing Soulmates' by dodie.

(I was going to put a picture of the doodle here, but it's currently lost in the vortex of mess that is my bedroom so you're just gonna have to use your  *i m a g i n a t i o n* )

I really liked the prompt of representing love, there were probably a lot of different ways I could have gone with it, but I decided to draw hand holding because I liked the significance of it. I feel like too often in our hypersexualized society, love and intimacy has to be shown as sex or extreme physical contact (that kinda sounds like a sports term, but whatever). And I kinda resent that. For a lot of different reasons, but mostly because it means that something as simple as hand holding isn't seen as a "real" expression of intimacy. Which is stupid and untrue, but seeing as my last three posts way to long as it is, we don't need to get into my feelings on that.

Anyway, I thought the challenge and the idea behind it were really cool, and I enjoyed the experience. I might try it again eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment